Greytown High School Subjects Offered
Greytown High School Subjects Offered – see the list of courses offered at Greytown High School…
In Grades 8 and 9 the school is parallel medium with learners being taught separately through the medium of English or Afrikaans.
Grade 8 Subjects
English Main/Afrikaans Main; Afrikaans Second/English Second; Mathematics; General Science; History; Geography; Business Economics; Computers and Technology.
Learners may choose between Home Economics and Industrial Arts. Computer Literacy is a non-examinable subject.
Grade 9 Subjects
English Main/Afrikaans Main; Afrikaans Second/English Second; Mathematics; General Science; History; Geography; Accounting. Learners may choose between Technical Drawing and Typing. Computer Literacy is a non-examinable subject.
Grades 10 to 12
In this phase, the school becomes dual medium with learners being taught selected subjects through the medium of English and Afrikaans in one classroom. We have 41 subject packages, 25 of which lead to Matriculation Exemption.
Grade 10 to 12 Subjects
English Main/Afrikaans Main; English Second/ Afrikaans Second.
1. Mathematics or Mathematical Literacy.
2. Physical Science or Geography or Computer Applications Technology.
3. History or Engineering Graphic’s and Design or Accounting.
4. Biology or Hospitality or Business Studies.
From Grades 10 to 12, learners may take Geography as a eighth subject.
1. Bible education (1 period per week) class wise, is conducted by ministers and parents/members
of the public.
EXTRA MURAL ACTIVITIES
We compete against the biggest schools in KwaZulu Natal in a wide variety of sport and cultural activities. Greytown High enjoys provincial representation in athletics, hockey, netball, swimming and soccer. Recognition is also given to provincial achievements e.g. karate, and polocrosse.
The following sports are available:
First term :athletics, swimming, cricket and tennis.
Second term : rugby, hockey (for girls), netball.
Third term : athletics, tennis, soccer.
Fourth term : cricket.
Sport practices start at 13:30 on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
Learners interested in nature join the Nature Society and annually take part in the Wildlife Quiz on a provincial level.
Other activities/facilities include the following:
– A well equipped media centre which is open on weekdays.
– Frequent visits to the theatre for performances of set works and for general enrichment.
– Speech contests and participation in olympiads.
– Attendance of leadership courses, survival camps, prefect camp as well as a Grade 8 camp.
– School dances and sport days.
– Talent and culture evenings.
– School choir and chess.
Greytown High School Contact Details