Drakensberg Boys Choir School Subjects Offered
Drakensberg Boys Choir School Subjects Offered – see the list of courses offered at Drakensberg Boys Choir School…
Our curriculum is CAPS-aligned but uniquely adapted to suit the needs of our Choir School – we are first and foremost a musical institution, providing an education through choral music.
We offer the following subjects to all grades:
- English (Home Language) – this is our language of learning and teaching
- Afrikaans/isiZulu (First Additional Language) -the latter is available for pupils in Grade 4 – 7 (from 2017)At the DBCS we encourage multilingualism – for this reason, pupils will receive tuition in three languages from 2017 (the third of these languages, at a Second Additional Language level)
- Music: this subject is made up of three modules (Music Appreciation, Music Theory & Aural Training)
Boys in the Intermediate Phase (Grades 4 – 6), in addition, take two other subjects
- Natural Sciences & Technology
- Social Sciences
Boys in the Senior Phase (Grade 7 – 9), in addition, take three other subjects
- Natural Sciences: comprised of two modules, Biology and Science
- Social Sciences: comprised of two modules, Geography and History
- Economic Management Sciences
All our pupils are formally assessed in the above-mentioned subjects and are exposed to termly cycle tests and examinations. In addition to the school week, we often have academic lessons on Saturdays, to ensure that the curriculum needs are met.
Skills-based subjects fulfil an integral role in a boy’s physical, emotional and creative development. The progress of boys in these key areas is closely monitored and the programme is adapted to accommodate their collective needs.
- Once a week, all boys have a chance to explore their creative talent during a Creative Arts Lesson Period – during these classes they are exposed to a variety of media.
- The younger boys take part in the Physical Education programme, under the supervision of a sports coach, during the last lesson on a Friday.
- Technology is a course where our Grade 7 – 9 boys have the opportunity to research and explore aspects from the CAPS Technology curriculum, as well as other areas. These topics provide an enriching experience for inquiring minds.
- Discussion Topics, relevant to the developmental age and need of the group, are grappled with during Homeroom lessons; these topics are in-line with the CAPS Life Skills and Life Orientation curriculum.
- Community Service is an important part of being a Drakie – all our boys are encouraged to give actively of their time in outreach and environmental initiatives, during term time as well as when on holiday. A spirit of ‘giving back’ and sharing is encouraged.
In an ever-changing, technologically-advancing world, it is inevitable that schools need to embrace the benefits that such advances in science can offer. We are, however, careful to ensure that technology must complement good teaching practice.
All Grade 8 – 9 boys are required to purchase an electronic tablet, on which their textbooks (ebooks) are stored. The portability of these prescribed books is important as the boys are often required to complete their homework when off campus. Several staff also make use of the Google Classroom, which boys access electronically, to send information to their pupils.
All boys are encouraged to store their music electronically, but this is not compulsory for younger boys.
Leadership in Academics
An Academic Prefect is elected each year – he has several duties and responsibilities, one of which is to ensure that the Academic block is secured at the end of the school day, as well as oversee that the homework (prep) sessions provide an environment conducive to studying. In essence, he is responsible for all academic matters and works closely with the Head of Academics.
Drakensberg Boys Choir School Contacts
Drakensberg Boys Choir School Uniform
Drakensberg Boys Choir School Fees
Drakensberg Boys Choir School Application Form